Friday, August 1, 2008

Life is still so exciting at any age....


Just got off the phone with my dad...He is about to be 81 and is somewhat of a renaissance man. He is a butcher by trade, retired, cooks all the meals at home, cleans the house for my mom and yet is somewhat of a macho guy...

He turned 80 and bought his first motorcycle if you can believe that. This morning he was driving back from the store and couldn't believe all the traffic everywhere. He sat and didn't move for over a half hour. All of the sudden a helicopter swooped down and went back and forth. He had absolutely no idea what was going on. Then the motorcycles came one after another driving rather quickly and from behind them large black SUV's and it was then it he realized it was Vice President Cheney and his motorcade driving by him at a pretty fast clip of 70 miles or so an hour. He sat there with amazement and watched his Vice President of the United States go by him. My father is a WWII veteran with tremendous patriotism. I am sure that no matter who was in the white house would honor them and the office.

He did laugh and tell me that he wondered why the corner gas station had lowed the prices this morning to under $3 a gallon, and said he thought the Vice President must had smiled and said, good the prices of gas are going down....He probably was right.

How sweet it was to hear the enthusiasm in my dads voice telling me this story. What an honor it was for him to see that motorcade and how lucky I am to have a dad that still appreciates things happening in his life like this.

No comments: